The Vancouver School Board (VSB) is a large, urban and multicultural school district providing programs to 55,500 students in kindergarten to Grade 12, and to over 3,000 adult students in adult education centres.
The Vancouver School Board has 18 secondary schools and 91 elementary schools. The map of Vancouver below shows the school locations.
It is our collective responsibility as a school district to ensure the highest quality of learning experiences for all students, with a focus on student engagement, learning and development in a safe, inclusive environment.
The VSB offers a great variety of educational programs to students in a number of elementary, secondary, and adult settings. In addition, summer school is available to VSB students.
Elementary School – Kindergarten to grade 7. This includes students from ages 5 to 12. *Note: It is Vancouver School Board policy that international students under the age of 13 must live with a parent or immediate family member.*
Secondary or High School – grades 8 to 12. This includes students from ages 13 to 17.
Adult Education – upgrading and completion of grade ten to grade twelve graduation requirements. Students in adult education are generally 18 years of age and older. Often students attend adult schools when they still have a few courses to complete and are too old to take them in a secondary school.
Please click on an individual school's icon to display its profile information. Or, to view the directory listing of all schools, select the School Directory tab above.
Each Vancouver school belongs to a family of schools. Please click on an individual school to display its profile information.
The International Education Program provides support for VSB international students to adjust to school life in Canada, and to learn in Vancouver schools.
* dedicated teachers, staff, counsellors, senior students
* district advisors for international students
* orientation for all new students in August
* peer counselling and tutoring programs in secondary schools
* multicultural liaisons and interpreters
* scholarships for outstanding VSB international students each year
Each secondary school offers a variety of extra-curricular activities and clubs. These offer a great way to make friends, pursue interests and use English.
* drama, including theatre, stage and video productions
* band, chorus, orchestra, strings and jazz bands perform concerts and compete in music festivals
* dance, including jazz, hip hop and performance
* robotics, and mathematics competitions
* yearbook, multicultural and chess clubs
* community service and volunteer opportunities
* soccer, volleyball, basketball, tennis, track and field, swimming and many others.